Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a popular dish from the Kashmir region of India that is made with small, baby potatoes that are cooked in a rich, flavorful gravy made with a blend of spices and yogurt. The dish is often served as a side dish with rice or bread. Here is a recipe for making this delicious dish:
Ingredients: Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- 500g baby potatoes
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Peel the baby potatoes and deep fry them in oil until they are golden brown and cooked through. Remove them from the oil and keep them aside.
- In a pan or kadhai, heat the oil or ghee and add the cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle, add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, green cardamoms, and cloves. Fry for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder to the pan. Stir well and sauté for about 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the yogurt to the pan and stir well.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan and stir well, bringing it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add the fried potatoes to the pan.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the gravy thickens and the potatoes are well coated with the gravy.
- Once the gravy is thickened, add the Kasoori methi and stir well.
- Now your Dum Aloo is ready to serve, you can garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Note: You can also add some cashew paste or cream for a richer gravy.
The key to making a great Kashmiri Dum Aloo is to use high-quality ingredients and to not skimp on the spices. The yogurt and cashew paste or cream adds a unique flavor and richness to the gravy, and it’s important not to overcook the potatoes as they can become mushy.
Dum Aloo can be enjoyed with rice or naan bread, and it can also be served with some side dishes like raita, pickle, and chutney. You can also garnish it with coriander leaves, ginger julienne, or fried onion.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cozy home dinner or a special occasion. With a few simple ingredients and a bit of time, you can create this delicious dish that is sure to impress your guests.