Kashmiri cuisine boasts several traditional dishes that are loved by many. One such dish that stands out is the Nadir Korma. It is a delicious preparation that is especially relished during winter. The aroma of the spices used in the dish will tantalize your taste buds and fill your home with its fragrance. Nadir Korma is made with lotus stems (nadir) and a gravy made with yogurt. This rich and flavorful dish is usually served with rice and is a must-try for anyone who loves Kashmiri cuisine.
- 1 lb lotus stems (nadir), peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2-3 green chilies, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cups water
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a pan, heat oil and add the chopped onions. Fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add the minced ginger and garlic, and fry for a minute.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and turmeric powder, and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the lotus stems and stir well. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the yogurt and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the lotus stems are tender.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Nadir Korma is best served with steamed rice. It is a rich, flavorful and comforting dish that is perfect for cold winter evenings. The yogurt-based gravy gives the dish a creamy texture and the lotus stems add a unique flavor and taste. It is a traditional kashmiri dish that is not only delicious but also healthy.